“Let this be clear: when the Church preaches social justice, equality, and the dignity of people, defending those who suffer and those who are assaulted, this is not subversion . . . This is the authentic teaching of the Church.”
— Archbishop Óscar Romero
Las Vecinas de El Salvador is a Social Ministries Program that works to maintain an ongoing relationship with the people of El Salvador through our sister parish of San Antonio in Soyapango. As sister parishes, San Antonio Parish and St. Ignatius Parish are committed to strengthening our friendship and working together in support of peace with justice. In accordance with our Sister Parish Covenant, we are committed to:
- Educating ourselves and our community about El Salvador, her people, and our sister parish
- Strengthening the ties between the members of our two parishes through ongoing communications and by sponsoring delegations and other visits between the parishes
- Organizing activities that advance peace with justice and strengthen the well-being of our communities, especially women and immigrants
- Raising funds for scholarships, educational and job training programs, and other community projects
- Uniting in prayer, Eucharist and other expressions of faith
To achieve these goals, we
- Organize at least one educational event a year for the members of St. Ignatius Parish.
- Communicate on a regular basis with the social action committee of San Antonio Parish.
- Organize delegations from St. Ignatius Parish to El Salvador.
- Host delegations from San Antonio Parish to San Francisco.
- Maintain awareness and involvement in movements affecting the lives of El Salvadorans, such asAnti-Sweatshop and School of the Americas campaigns, Fair Trade Coffee Campaign, U.S.immigration policy and immigrant rights issues, and gang intervention activities.
- Raise funds for specific projects and programs of San Antonio Parish, including scholarships, asewing cooperative, a flower-making workshop, a bakery training program, computer training classes, and other educational and job training activities.
For more information, see our Sister Parish Covenant and a summary of our Social Service Projects in El Salvador.